Lucien Godbout focuses his practice on the area of commercial law, where he works as counsel for both financial institutions and public and private companies seeking financing. He has played a key role in a number of major Quebec and pan-Canadian bank financings for communications firms.
He is also active in real estate law, security for indebtedness, and restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency law. He regularly prepares and hosts continuing information and education seminars, primarily for financial institutions. He also occasionally argues cases before trial and appeal courts in the aforementioned areas. His practice also extends to the purchase and sale of businesses, and to providing corporations with advice on day-to-day and extraordinary legal matters.
Civil Law, LL.B., Laval University, 1978
Rankings & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2019
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2018
- Benchmark Canada 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018
- Lexpert/ROB Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers 2017
- Lexpert/ROB Canada’s Leading Corporate Lawyers 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2017
- Benchmark Canada 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2015
- Benchmark Canada 2015
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2014
- Benchmark Canada 2014
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2013
Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2008 and 2009
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2006 to 2013
Areas of Practice
Various restructuring and reorganization cases under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, as legal counsel to financial institutions and manufacturing, transportation and forestry companies.
As legal counsel to businesses and financial institutions, played a part in various major financings for the manufacturing, service and telecommunications industries.
Banking and secured-creditor law: represented financial institutions in various major cases, including an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (April 2004), regarding the enforceability of unregistered rights.
Summer and fall 2007, counsel to vendors in major transactions involving the sale of retail companies and the signing of long-term leases.
- 2017 – Finer Points of Business Law | Contaminated Land: the Stakes Involved for the Owner, Seller, Purchaser, Promoter and Mortgage Lender
2001 – Workshop presentation for the National Bank of Canada’s Loan Collection Department: “New Developments in Security for Indebtedness: Bill C-24, Bill 95, and Phase II of the Register of Personal and Movable Real Rights”
2001 – Speaker at a lunchtime conference organized by National Bank Financial Services Inc.: “Shareholders Agreements for Today and Tomorrow”
2001 – Presentation to the Québec City business community in conjunction with National Bank of Canada and National Bank Financial Services Inc.: “Shareholder Agreements: Much More Than a Necessary Evil”
2001 – “Phase II of the Register of Personal and Movable Real Rights”, Canadian Institute (Montreal) Conference
2002 – Presentation to Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton, Turnaround and Redirection: “Interim (DIP) Financing”
2003 – Seminar organized with the National Bank of Canada’s Loan Collection Department, Reforming Quebec’s Code of Civil Procedure (Phase I): “Major Changes to the Rules of the Game”
2003 – Training workshops for National Bank of Canada’s Commercial Banking Department in the Lower St. Lawrence, Chaudière-Appalaches, Saguenay/Lac-St-Jean and North Shore regions: “Drafting Legal Documents Precisely and Concisely and The Environment: New Reflexes for Bankers Since the Coming into Force of Bill 72”
2007 – CAIRP annual conferences, Mont-Tremblant: “Jurisprudence and Recent Developments In Light of an Ongoing Restructuring Under the CCAA”
Since 2001 – Member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada
1986-1990 – Québec Bar Equivalence Committee Member
1983-1986 – Secretary of the Québec City Junior Bar Association
Since 1982 – Member of the Canadian Bar Association