Lawyer - Quebec City
Stéphanie Fortier-Dumais is a lawyer in Langlois lawyers’ Quebec City office. She practices primarily in the areas of construction law and commercial litigation.
In the area of construction law, Stephanie represents mainly a clientele of general and specialized contractors, material suppliers and project owners. She acts on their behalf in a broad range of litigious matters, such as claims for construction defects and extra work and related claims, legal construction hypothecs (builder’s liens) and surety bonds. She pleads cases both at trial and on appeal.
She has published several articles and is involved in the legal community as a conference speaker.
Stéphanie carries on her practice in both English and French.
LLB, Civil Law, Laval University, 2013
Canada Exchange profile – Semester in Common Law at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, 2012
- 2019 – Demystifying the Obligations of the Real Estate Promoter
- 2019 – The Legal Construction Hypothec for Work Requested by a Lessee: Scope and Purpose
- 2018 – The ABCs of Legal Construction Hypothecs in Quebec
- 2017 – Bill 142* and standard construction contracts: are contractors entitled to an adjustment of their stipulated price contracts concluded before May 30, 2017?
- 2016 – The Impact of Failing to Comply with the Formal Requirements of a Suretyship Contract
- 2016 – The Specific Regime for Termination of a Contract of Enterprise or a Contract for Services: Pros and Cons
- 2016 – Certificate From Revenu Québec: Now the Private Sector is Covered Too!
- 2016 – Financial Institutions, It’s Time to Assert Your Rights!
- 2015 – Claims for Additional Work: the Consequences of Failing to Follow Contractual Requirements
- 2015 – The Legal Construction Hypothec: a Security Whose Validity Depends on Both Formality and Substance
- 2015 – Legal Hypothecs and Legal Persons Established in the Public Interest: a Recap of Applicable Principles
- 2015 – Construction Industry: Hirings and Firings Could Cost You Dearly
2017 – “Acquérir et se libérer par l’écoulement du temps – la prescription” (Acquisitions and avoidance through the passage of time – prescription), Le Réseau juridique du Québec, January 2017.
- 2019 – Series of Workshops on Construction Law 2019 | Getting a Clear Picture of Claims Concerning Delay Costs and Impact
- 2018 – Morning Seminar on Construction Law – Terminating a Contract of Enterprise or for Services
- 2017 – Morning Symposium on Construction Law – Legal Construction Hypothecs
2019 – “S’outiller face aux réclamations des entrepreneurs” (Dealing with the claims of contractors), in collaboration with Antoine Bigenwald, Association québécoise des cadres scolaires (AQCS), November 7, 2019.
2019 – “L’hypothèque légale de la construction au Québec et en Ontario : comment la substituer?” (The legal construction hypothec in Quebec and Ontario: how to substitute one for the other?), joint presentation with Marie-Claude Carrier and Vikki Andrighetti, to the annual convention of the Quebec General Contractors Association (CEGQ), February 20 – 22, 2019.
2018 – “Qu’en est-il de la responsabilité et des obligations du promoteur immobilier?” (Obligations and potential liability of real estate promoters), conference presentation with partner Marie-Claude Carrier at the annual convention of the Quebec General Contractors Association (CEGQ), February 21 – 23, 2018.
2017 – “La réclamation des frais d’avocats encourus : chose possible?” (Claims for Incurred Legal Fees – Are They possible?) – conference presentation at the annual convention of the Quebec General Contractors Association (CEGQ), February 16, 2017.
Member of the board of directors of HI-Québec – Hosteling Internationale
Member of Jeune Barreau de Québec