Lawyer - Montréal
Sandra Desjardins is a lawyer in the litigation group in the Montréal office of Langlois lawyers. She has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation and provides unparalleled support in litigation matters related to directors’ and officers’ liability and shareholders’ remedies.
Sandra is involved in several class actions involving banking law, securities law and consumer law. She also has a keen interest in construction law litigation and represents professionals in the context of civil actions.
Sandra also represents clients in Product Liability cases, including cases implicating a recall campaign, an alleged product defects and any other damages claimed in relation with the sale of a product or services.
Her practice leads her to represent a diversified clientele in the context of large and complex files characterized by the defence of the rights and interests of clients, but also in business strategy and dispute resolution. Sandra represents businesses and professionals through legal and extraordinary remedies before the administrative tribunals as well as within the context of commercial arbitration.
She also gives conferences on construction law, professional liability, commercial litigation and class actions.
Sandra is a member of the board of directors of an artists’ centre, Diagonale, which mission is to promote the dissemination of works of contemporary art related to fibre.
North American Common Law (Juris Doctor), Université de Montréal, 2011
LL.B., Civil Law, Université de Montréal, 2009
Areas of Practice
Directors’ and officers’ liability and/or shareholders’ remedies
- Counsel for a syndicate of condominiums in the context of proceedings related to design/construction defects liability;
- Counsel for a major financial institution in the context of an oppression remedy brought by minority shareholders;
- Counsel for a private company in the context of an oppression remedy brought by an employee/shareholder alleging an unjust and oppressive dismissal.
- Counsel for a major financial institution in a class action involving allegations of non-compliance with the Consumer Protection Act;
- Counsel for a major financial institution in a class action relating to the Bank Act and the Consumer Protection Act;
- Counsel for a private company in a class action relating to the unilateral termination of a service contract and the applicable fees;
- Counsel for a private company in a class action relating to compliance with certain applicable securities standards.
Construction and professional liability
- Counsel for a public company as part of a claim for damages for delays and impact costs;
- Counsel for a public company as part of a claim for damages for loss of profits relating to the performance of a contract;
- Counsel for professionals prosecuted in civil liability;
- Counsel for a private company in the context of proceedings for latent defect related to an alleged environmental contamination.
2018 – “Commentaire sur la décision Chandler c.Volkswagen Aktiengestllchaft – La présentation d’un moyen déclinatoire ratione personæ au stade de la demande pour autorisation d’exercer une action collective” (Case comment on Chandler v.Volkswagen Aktiengestllchaft – Requesting a declinatory exception ratione personæ at the class action certification stage), Repères, Yvon Blais, Montréal, November 2018, EYB2018REP2606
2018 – “Commentaire sur la décision Pollués de Montréal-Trudeau c. Aéroports de Montréal – La définition du groupe visé par une action collective en matière de troubles de voisinage” (Case comment on Pollués de Montréal-Trudeau v. Aéroports de Montréal – Definition of the class in a class action for neighbourhood disturbances), Repères, Yvon Blais, Montréal, July 2018, EYB2018REP2511
2017 – “Judgment-Sharing Agreements”, co-authored with Vincent de l’Étoile, Colloque national sur l’action collective, Développements récents au Québec, au Canada et aux États-Unis, Service de la formation continue, Barreau du Québec, Volume 428, 2017, p. 1.
Member of the board of directors of Diagonale, an artist-run center for contemporary art
Young Bar of Montreal