Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Antoine Brylowski is a partner in the Montréal office of Langlois Lawyers. A member of the litigation group, his practice is focused primarily on commercial litigation, particularly in the areas of banking, insurance, securities, product liability, professional liability and class actions, including national ones.
Antoine advises a number of corporations, representing their interests in litigious matters including extraordinary remedies such as injunctions, and in judicial review proceedings. He also defends a variety of stakeholders in the financial services sector in civil and disciplinary matters. In addition, he advises corporations and individuals in connection with regulatory and penal investigations.
Antoine appears on a regular basis before Quebec’s civil courts and administrative tribunals. In addition to trial and appellate advocacy, he also defends his clients’ interests in arbitrations and settlement conferences.
Bachelor of Laws degree, LL.B., University of Montréal, 2009
Areas of Practice
- Banking Litigation
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Disciplinary and Professional Law
- Financial Institution Regulation
- Financial Institutions and Financial Services Law
- General Liability
- Insurance Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Product Liability
- Product Risk
- Professional Liability
- Regulation, Compliance, and Regulatory Investigation (AMF, Superintendent of Financial Institutions, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada)
- Regulatory Investigations
- Securities Litigation
Represented the controller of a reporting issuer in connection with an internal investigation by the board of directors into the overseas operations of the issuer.
Represented a Canadian financial institution in connection with a multi-jurisdictional class action alleging collusion and anti-competitive practices in the credit card industry.
Represented the chief technology officer of a reporting issuer in the mining industry in connection with an investigation by the AMF (Autorité des marchés financiers) into suspected tipping and insider trading.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in connection with a regulatory investigation into the distribution of structured products in the retail market.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in connection with a major lawsuit over the fraudulent use of bank accounts.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in connection with a major lawsuit over illegal transfers of funds.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in connection with a lawsuit over the management of commercial accounts.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in a case involving fraudulent transfers.
Represented a large Canadian financial institution in a case involving bank landing liability.
Represented a cigarette manufacturer in connection with class actions related to addiction to tobacco products and smoking-related illnesses.
Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with a class action related to product liability.
Represented one of the largest multi-national tobacco companies in defence against a multi-billion dollar lawsuit brought by the Quebec government to recover tobacco-related healthcare costs.
Represented two public corporations in connection with a lawsuit over the purchase of shares of a private company.
Represented a Crown corporation in a lawsuit involving construction law.
Represented a private corporation involved in television production in connection with a judicial review application before the Federal Court of Canada.
Represented brokers before the discipline committee of the Chambre de la sécurité financière.
Member of the team responsible for an asset-backed commercial paper (ABCP) restructuring.
- 2021 – Lessons in evidence, procedure and natural justice from the Financial Markets Administrative Tribunal
- 2020 – Investigations under the Business Corporations Act and their findings: No backtracking, according to the Superior Court
- 2020 – COVID-19 and CBCA companies: Supreme Court of British Columbia first Canadian court to rule on a petition seeking an extension of the delay to hold the annual general meeting
- 2020 – To launch, or not to launch, an internal investigation during the COVID-19 crisis: that might be a question
- 2020 – IIROC issues Notice 20-0063 regarding COVID-19 related exemptions from IIROC Rules
- 2020 – The Quebec Court of Appeal recognizes the right to publish a Mareva injunction
- 2020 – Crisis management and the heightened risk of insider trading and tipping
- 2018 – The Court of Appeal Limits the Disclosure of Documents Prior to the Authorization of a Class Action Instituted Under the Securities Act
- 2017 – Disclosure of Documents in Class Actions at the Pre-Authorization Stage Under the QSA
2016 – “The Consumer Protection Act Fuels Automobile Misrepresentation Class Action in Quebec: Misfire or Upcoming Trend?”, co-authored with Vincent de l’Étoile, Class Action Journal, Volume X, No. 4, Toronto, Federated Press, 2016, p. 667.
2015 – Presentation at the Annual Convention of the Quebec Bar of a conference on the top decisions in business law in 2014 and the first half of 2015, with an emphasis on those involving procedure and evidence, contract disputes, trademarks and fundamental rights
2014 – Presentation entitled “Regulators, Investigations and Recent Case Law” to a team of investment advisors at a wealth-management firm, as part of its professional development program
Member of the board of directors of Parkinson Québec
Member of the board of directors of ARPRIM, experimental nonprofit center for print media
Canadian Bar Association
Young Bar Association of Montreal