Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Tommy Tremblay is a partner with Langlois Lawyers in Montréal where his practice encompasses every aspect of commercial litigation but is focussed more specifically on the business governance sector (in particular, on matters related to director and officer liability), competition law, securities and white collar defence including administrative investigations and interactions with regulatory agencies on these matter. His governance experience has led him to also acquire specialized expertise in connection with governmental relations, including the laws governing political contributions and lobbying.
Tommy advises directors and officers regarding ethical corporate governance practices, specifically with respect to their duties and obligations towards various groups impacted by their decisions (shareholders, creditors, employees) and the obligations imposed on them by law.
Moreover, Tommy advises corporations and individuals on matters related to their obligations to prevent economic crimes and ensure compliance to competition law. He represents them before the courts in both penal and civil proceedings (including class actions), when they are accused of an offence or alleged to be liable for damages.
Tommy also helps develop compliance programs that make it possible for companies to verify whether their employees and members of their administration are respecting statutory rules and exercising due diligence in various areas, specifically competition law, fraud prevention and corruption and lobbying.
He frequently assists clients in connection with investigations led by regulatory agencies and helps to set up internal investigation protocols for clients who suspect certain of their employees or executives of having committed irregularities (non-compliance with regulatory standards, fraud, etc.).
Tommy also appears before various decision-making bodies, such as administrative tribunals, the Superior Court or Court of Appeal of Quebec.
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
ASC (Certified Corporate Director), Collège des administrateurs de sociétés, 2019
LL.B., Université Laval, 1998
B.A. in Sociology, Université Laval, 1993
Rankings & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada 2024
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2023
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2023
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2022
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2022
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2021
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2020
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- Benchmark Canada 2018
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018 – Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Benchmark Litigation Canada 2016 and 2017 – “Local Litigation Star: Québec” and “Litigation Star: Commercial, Competition, Securities, White Collar/Fraud”. Also recognized in the 2015 edition as a “Future Star: Québec”
The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2016 ‒ Litigation – Directors’ & Officers’ Liability
Areas of Practice
- Anti-Corruption and Regulatory Crisis Intervention
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Competition Litigation
- Corporate and Companies Law
- Corporate Governance / Directors & Officers
- Directors & Officers Liability
- General Liability
- Government and Public Affairs
- Human Rights and Freedoms
- Non-competition Clauses and Restrictive Covenants
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Regulation, Compliance, and Regulatory Investigation (AMF, Superintendent of Financial Institutions, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada)
- Regulatory Investigations
- Securities Litigation
- 2019 – Conflicts of Interest and Confidentiality: Directors Beware!
- 2018 – Compliance Programs: A Guardrail to Keep You on the Path of Good Governance
- 2018 – Governance in the Era of the #Metoo Movement: an Overdue Wake-up Call
- 2018 – The Competition Bureau Weighs in on Restrictions Faced by Online Eyewear Retailers
- 2018 – Cybersecurity Is Also a Question of Governance
- 2018 – Directors’ Liability: Get the Means to Defend Yourself!
- 2018 – Statutory Liabilities of Directors: Marking the Risk Areas to Avoid Sliding out of Control
- 2018 – Beyond the Duties of Care and Loyalty … the Civil Liability of Directors
- 2018 – Duties and Obligations of Directors: a Brief Overview
2019 – Interview, “Cruel and unusual punishment”, National Magazine, Canadian Bar Association
2019 – Interview, “The law of remediation agreements: Why it needs to be rewritten”, National Magazine, Canadian Bar Association
2019 – “Point de vue d’un praticien sur la criminalité économique et la gouvernance d’entreprise au Québec” [A practitioner’s point of view on economic crime and corporate governance in Quebec], Gouvernance d’entreprise, conformité et criminalité économique ‒ Approche globale et comparative, Éditions Yvon Blais
2014 – Co-author, “Processus d’examen des transactions devant faire l’objet d’un préavis” [Review process for transactions requiring prior notice under the Competition Act] Fascicle 29, JurisClasseur Québec – Droit de la consommation et de la concurrence, LexisNexis Canada
2013 – Co-author, “Jurisprudence récente sur les clauses de non-concurrence en matière de contrats de travail et de conventions commerciales” [Recent Case Law on Non-Competition Covenants With Respect to Employment Contracts and Commercial Agreements], Service de la formation continue (CLE) du Barreau du Québec – Développements récents en droit de la non-concurrence, Volume 377, Éditions Yvon Blais
2009 – “Inscription, conférence préparatoire, assignation des témoins, marche de l’instruction, ajournement et prise de déposition” [Setting the matter down for trial, pre-trial conference, summoning witnesses, conduct of trial, adjournment and taking depositions], Fascicule 16, JurisClasseur Québec – Procédure civile I, LexisNexis Canada
- 2021 – CBA-Québec Branch holds virtual President’s cocktail reception with focus on the province’s economic recovery
- 2020 – Tommy Tremblay and Mike Siméon to take part in a webinar entitled Fraud and corruption: trends during times of crisis
2021 – “Rôle des administrateurs et du conseil : délimiter leurs devoirs et responsabilités” (The role of directors and the board: defining duties and responsibilities), client training presented as part of Langlois Lawyers’ Corporate Litigation webinar series, September 23, 2021.
2019 – “Responsabilité pénale des entreprises : gouvernance et stratégie des entreprises en regard du régime de traitement alternatif de la criminalité” (The criminal liability of enterprises: corporate governance and strategy regarding the alternative treatment of economic crime), copanellist with professors Jennifer Quaid and Amissi Manirabona, Les rendez-vous juridiques 2018-2019, Faculty of law of Université de Montréal, March 13, 2019.
2019 – Speaker “Point de vue d’un praticien sur la criminalité économique et la gouvernance d’entreprise au Québec” (A practitioner’s point of view on economic crime and corporate governance in Quebec), Discussion forum on all aspects of compliance and governance, Université Laval, February 6, 2019.
Speaker and trainer on directors’ and officers’ liability, shareholders’ disputes, competition law, securities, as well as internal and regulatory investigations.
For several years, Tommy has served as a speaker for Federated Press in its annual conferences on “Directors’ and Officers’ Liability” and “Reinventing the Corporate Secretary”.
He acts as a trainer in the university certification program in corporate governance offered by the Collège des administrateurs de sociétés.
For several years, he has served as trainer in the Réseau des jeunes administrateurs training program provided by the Jeune Chambre de commerce de Montréal and the Conférence régionale des élus de Montréal (CRÉ).
He lectures annually for the Canadian Bar Association – Québec Branch, together with other lawyers, in preparing a list of major decisions in commercial disputes.
He regularly provides in-house training to clients on competition law, internal investigation processes in cases of fraud or irregularities, and Québec’s rules governing lobbying.
Trainer, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés
Trainer, Executive Education, HEC Montréal
Since 2019 – Lecturer, “The law of Civil Investigation” given in the context of a new program named “Certificat en enquête et renseignement”, Continuing Education Faculty of the Université de Montréal
Canadian Bar Association
– CBA President, Québec branch, 2020-2021 (outgoing president 2021-2022)
– Honorary Member-at-Large, CBA Business Law Section
– Member of the CBA’s Anti-Corruption Team
Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
Member, East Montreal Chamber of Commerce (CCEM)