Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Sophie Perreault is a partner in the litigation group at the Montréal office of Langlois lawyers. She is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
Sophie has extensive experience as a litigator in civil, commercial and penal procedure and regulatory proceedings. She represents clients before the Quebec and federal courts and various administrative tribunals. Sophie has particular experience in extraordinary proceedings such as injunctions, mandamus proceedings and Anton Piller orders. She has also acted in defence in class action proceedings and in constitutional matters that have been pleaded before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Sophie also provides advice on compliance with anti-corruption legislation and policies and assists clients with risk assessments, development of policies and compliance programs, internal and external investigations, prosecutions by regulatory authorities and litigation defence services, while helping clients to manage legal, reputational and operational risks. She has particular expertise with respect to federal and provincial integrity requirements in public contracts.
Sophie’s environmental practice covers Quebec and federal environmental law and includes civil suits, class actions, statutory offences, contestation of searches and seizures, and directors’ and officers’ liability and negotiations with environmental authorities.
Called to the Quebec Bar in 1994, she was a partner in an international firm before joining Langlois lawyers.
Mini-MBA Program, McGill Executive Institute, 2015-2016
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1993
Rankings & Recognitions
Acritas StarsTM 2019 – global independent research – nominated by clients as one of the most outstanding lawyers they have worked with
Benchmark Canada 2017, 2018 and 2019 ‒ recognized as a preeminent litigation practitioner in Canada (civil litigation, environment, white-collar crime)
Leadership au féminin 2007 ‒ recognized by the Quebec Bar for her active involvement in the community
Areas of Practice
Sophie is acting or has acted in the following matters:
- A construction company and certain shareholders: defending a $15M claim by another shareholder
- A public institution specialized in managing infrastructure projects: defending a constitutional challenge of the Act respecting the Réseau Électrique Métropolitain in connection with a project to build a $6 billion automated light rail transportation system in Montreal
- A petroleum company: in relation to multiple environmental, real estate and commercial disputes, including an action brought by a property owner seeking rehabilitation under the Quebec Environment Quality Act, which was dismissed by the Quebec Superior Court
- A Canadian communications company: in its $1.2 billion claim against the private equity sponsors of the failed leveraged buyout of the company
- A mining company: aggressive intervention in relation to Anton Piller proceedings in the context of fraudulent activities of third parties
- A paper company: in successfully obtaining an Anton Piller order and allowing repossession of the client’s property and data
- A Canadian communications company: defending a class action in the context of unilateral modifications of a consumer contract
- A biopharmaceutical company: in successfully obtaining injunction reliefs further to the departure of employees to a competitor
- A wholesale retailer: defending against a demand for a Norwich order
- A company in the agriculture and food industry: defending against a claim for damages for alleged defective product
- Public procurement: representing numerous clients in the context of the application of the integrity requirements (federal and provincial) and the obtention of mandatory authorizations to enter into public contracts
- Risk management: advising various clients on risk management, compliance and business ethics, particularly regarding crisis situations and imminent litigation risks
2019 – “The Autorité des marchés publics is the new actor in the Quebec public contracts regime”, co-authored with Justine Brien, Canadian Lawyer, April 30, 2019.
2015 – Government of Canada amends Integrity Regime: less debarment, but more suspension
2014 – Public contracts: overpayments targeted by the government (again)
2014 – Who is responsible for rehabilitation under the Quebec, Environment Quality Act
2014 – Quebec public contracts: AMF authorization required for contracts and subcontracts worth $5 million or more as of October 24
2013 – As of January 15, 2013, certain City of Montreal contracts are subject to the rules of the Integrity in Public Contracts Act
2012 – Bill 1 becomes law: doing business with the State is now a privilege that requires prior authorization
2012 – Quebec’s Bill 1: Priority 1 for enterprises doing business with the government
2012 – Extended warranties: merchants vindicated as seven proposed class actions are thrown out
Sophie is a regular guest speaker on topics pertaining to business ethics and anticorruption matters, environmental law and crisis management.
2019 – “L’Autorité des marchés publics – un nouveau joueur en matière de contrats publics”, Conference to clients, Montréal
2018 – “Cyberattaque: trousse juridique pour se préparer à l’inévitable”, RISIUQ, Quebec City
2017 – “Gestion de crise: prévention, préparation et réaction lorsque votre réputation est à risque”, Vision 2017, Montréal
2017 – “Cyberattaque: trousse juridique pour se préparer à l’inévitable”, GoSec 2017, Montréal
2016 – “Public Contracts: Integrity Requirements”, Montréal
2016 – “Démystifier les relations avec l’État Partie III – Intégrité et contrats publics”, Montréal
2016 – “Nouvelles exigences en matière de conformité et d’intégrité : gérez vos risques et démarquez-vous de vos concurrents”, Vision 2016, Montréal
2016 – “Exigences d’intégrité en matière de contrats publics”, Montréal
2015 – “La Loi sur l’intégrité en matière de contrats publics, deux ans plus tard“, Montréal
2013 – “Gestion de crise environnementale et en matière de santé et sécurité — Comment limiter les dégâts”, Montréal
2013 – “Prevention against fraud and corruption: latest legal developments”, Montréal
2013 – “Diffamation et gestion de crise”, Montréal
Guest lecturer, Civil Litigation Course, McGill University Faculty of Law
Former lecturer, Civil Pleading Techniques, Quebec Bar Admission Course
Former chair of the governing board, École Primaire Beaconsfield
Former member of the board of directors of the CPE de La Pointe
Canadian Bar Association
Fondation La Récréation, co-founder and chair of the board
Former member of the committee of the Quebec Bar on civil procedure reform
Former member of the committee on the future of the information in Quebec