John G. O'Connor
Lawyer, Partner - Quebec City
John G. O’Connor has extensive experience in maritime and commercial law. He has handled all types of marine insurance claims including P&I liability, environmental liability and general average, as well as ship financing, maritime accidents and salvage matters.
He has been especially active in the energy sector and involved in the international carriage and sale of oil, gas and other bulk commodities. He also has extensive experience in marine, errors and omissions and protection and indemnity insurance.
In 2007, John received a BV Peer Review Rating from Lexis Nexis Martindale-Hubbell. John is cited as a leading lawyer in Shipping and Maritime Law by the The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory. He is also recommended in that area by Legal Who’s Who. He was selected in The Best Lawyers in Canada in the specialty of Maritime Law.
Masters in Public Law, LL.M., Laval University, 1981
Bachelor of Laws, LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1980
Bachelor of Laws, LL.L., Laval University, 1978
Bachelor of Arts, B.A., University of Toronto, 1974
Rankings & Recognitions
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2019
- Chambers Canada 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2018
- Chambers Canada 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2016
- Chambers Canada 2015
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2015
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2014
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2013
John O’Connor has accepted invitations to speak to many organizations within the legal community. He teaches international maritime law and commercial law at McGill University in Montréal.
Since 2000 – Titulary Member of the Comité Maritime International
Since 1986 – London Maritime Arbitrators Association
Since 1984 – Founder and Former President, Association of Maritime Arbitrators of Canada
Since 1981 – Association of Average Adjusters of Canada
Since 1981- Executive Committee, Canadian Maritime Law Association
Since 1976 – Past Chairman, National Maritime Law Section, Canadian Bar Association