Lawyer, Partner - Quebec City
Valérie Lemaire practices in the areas of civil litigation, insurance law, and professional and medical liability.
She has developed special expertise in regulatory compliance issues in the insurance and financial products and services distribution areas, and advises insurers, brokers and professional liability insurance funds, particularly on matters concerning the Insurance Act and the Act Respecting the Distribution of Financial Products and Services.
She frequently gives seminars accredited by the Chambre de l’assurance de dommages (Damage Insurance Regulatory Body) on topics concerning insurance law, professional and civil liability, and insurance regulations.
Civil Law, LL.B., Laval University, 1994
Rankings & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2019
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2018
- Benchmark Canada 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2017
- Benchmark Canada 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2016
- Benchmark Canada 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2015
- Benchmark Canada 2015
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2015
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2012
LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®, BV rating
Areas of Practice
- Access to Information
- Business Crime Insurance
- Business Law
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Insurance
- Construction Law
- Construction Litigation
- Construction Risk
- Cyber-risk Insurance Policy
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Disciplinary and Professional Law
- Drafting and Interpretation of Insurance Policies
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance
- Financial Institutions and Financial Services Law
- General Liability
- Insurance Compliance
- Insurance Litigation
- Life Insurance
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Product Liability
- Product Risk
- Professional Liability
- Property Insurance
- Regulation, Compliance, and Regulatory Investigation (AMF, Superintendent of Financial Institutions, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada)
- Regulatory Investigations
Successfully defended an insurer and its insured against a personal injury claim for more than $2 million alleging carbon monoxide poisoning.
Successfully represented an insurer in an arbitration proceeding involving a claim to recover monies from a reinsurer.
Represents a supplier of concrete in defence against claims totalling several million dollars by owners of homes with damaged concrete foundations.
Advised an insurer on the revision of the wording in its policies.
Defended an enterprise against a multi-million dollar lawsuit following a factory fire.
Defence counsel in complex personal injury cases on a regular basis.
Acts on a regular basis for insurance firms and representatives in connection with regulatory investigations.
Obtained for a foreign insurer (life insurance and property and casualty insurance) the required licences to distribute insurance products in Quebec.
Advised an insurer with respect to its property and casualty insurance business including the establishment of a compliance program.
2017 – “Le privilège relatif au litige : la protection du processus judiciaire” (The litigation privilege: protecting the judicial process), in collaboration with Renée-Maude Vachon-Therrien, Assurance de dommages – Troisième Colloque, Éditions Yvon Blais, volume 26, 2017 (La Collection Blais)
2015 – “Contrat de réassurance: notions et principes” (Reinsurance policies: concepts and principles) and “Les ententes de réassurance” (Reinsurance agreements), in collaboration with Jean-François Gagnon, in Sébastien Lanctôt et al., Le contrat d’assurance de dommages et le contrat de réassurance: sujets choisis (Property and casualty insurance policies and reinsurance contracts: selected topics), Montréal, LexisNexis
2015 – “La portée de l’obligation de bonne foi de l’assureur dans le traitement des réclamations”, (The Scope of the Insurer’s Duty to Act in Good Faith in the Handling of Claims), in collaboration with Renée-Maude Vachon-Therrien, Assurance de dommages – Deuxième Colloque, Éditions Yvon Blais, volume 22, 2015 (La Collection Blais)
2012 – Contributor: “Legal Aspects of Doing Business in North America” (Section Quebec), Release 1 – 2012, Juris Publishing, Huntington, New York, 2012, p. QU-1
- 2019 – Insurance Law Seminar 2019
- 2018 – Training Session on Employment Practices for Insurance Industry Professionals – the ABCs of Discrimination in Employment
- 2018 – Continuing Legal Education Session on Employment Practices – Best Practices Following a Dismissal
- 2018 – Continuing Legal Education Session on Employment Practices – How to Manage Harassment Complaints
- 2015 – Insurance Law Seminar 2015
- 2014 – Insurance Law Seminar 2014
2018 – “L’accès à l’information et la protection des renseignements personnels”, (Access to information and protection of personal information), Lévis, February 15, 2018
2017 – “Le privilège relatif au litige : la protection du processus judiciaire” (The litigation privilege: protecting the judicial process), in collaboration with Renée-Maude Vachon-Therrien, Assurance de dommages – Troisième Colloque, Éditions Yvon Blais, Montréal
2015 – ”La portée de l’obligation de bonne foi de l’assureur dans le traitement des réclamations” (The Scope of the Insurer’s Duty to Act in Good Faith in the Handling of Claims), in collaboration with Renée-Maude Vachon-Therrien, Assurance de dommages – Deuxième Colloque, Éditions Yvon Blais, Montréal
2015 – “La gestion de l’instance – impact du nouveau Code de procédure civile” (Case Management – the Impact of the New Code of Civil Procedure)
2015 – “La prescription” (Limitation of Actions (prescription))
2010 – “The Obligation to Follow Sound Commercial Practices”, The Canadian Institute
2009 – “The Lawyer’s Role in Managing Regulatory Compliance Risks”, The Canadian Institute
2009 – “New Guidelines From the Autorité des marchés financiers and How to Comply”, Institut d’assurance de dommages du Québec
2008 – “Implementation of a Compliance Management Program by an Insurer”, Insight
2008 – “Guidelines Issued by the Autorité des marchés financiers”, presented privately to insurance clients
2008 – “Managing Landlord/Tenant Relations”, Quebec City, Association des femmes d’assurance de Québec
2007 – “Waiver, Estoppel from a Quebec Legal Perspective”, Montréal, Institut d’assurance de dommages de Québec, with Jean-François Gagnon
2006 – “Initial Declaration of Risk and the Consequences of Non-Disclosure”, Quebec City, Association des femmes d’assurance de Québec
2019 – Guest entrepreneur at the annual banquet of Laval University’s student entrepreneurs association (RÉEL)
Since 2017 – Member, PLUS (Professional Liability Underwriting Society)
Since 1997 – Member, Association des femmes d’assurance de Québec
2013-2018 – Member of the Board of Directors of Langlois lawyers