Lawyer - Montréal
Félix Bernard practices in the areas of corporate, commercial and securities law at Langlois lawyers.
His expertise is primarily transactional and involves complex mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations as well as venture capital and private equity financings. Félix is also frequently involved in the negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements, particularly in the technology field.
His practice also involves public debt and equity financing of TSX-V listed corporations, as well as advising public companies on their regulatory obligations related to securities and governance matters.
LL.M. – Corporate & securities law – London School of Economics and Political Science, 2015
LL.B., Civil Law, Laval University, 2013
Rankings & Recognitions
LL.M. with Merit from the London School of Economics, 2015
Dean’s Honour Roll – Awarded to law students who have maintained the best academic averages at Laval University’s law faculty, 2013
Areas of Practice
Langlois Acts for Victoriaville & Co. in an Important Acquisition
Langlois Lawyers acted as lead counsel for Victoriaville & Co., one of the largest wood casket manufacturer in North America, in its acquisition of all the shares of Alliance St-Laurent Casket Corporation, a subsidiary of Matthews International Corporation (NASDAQ: MATW), based in Edmundston, New Brunswick.
Langlois Represents a Major Cannabis Enterprise
Since 2017, Langlois lawyers has been representing a company in connection with the acquisition of a property located in Montreal West, province of Québec, for the cultivation of organic medical marijuana and the development of production facilities.
Langlois Represented iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A., as Lead Counsel, in Connection with Its Acquisition of Sistemalux Inc.
Langlois acted as lead counsel for iGuzzini illuminazione S.p.A., an international leader in architectural lighting, in connection with its acquisition of Sistemalux Inc., a Canadian company headquartered in Montreal with more than 200 employees.
Mergers & acquisitions
Acted for the leader in the Canadian convenience store industry, in connection with its $1.68 billion acquisition of 279 fuel and convenience outlets in Quebec and Ontario.
Acted for a Canadian publicly-traded leading provider of medical isotopes in connection with the US$826 million purchase of all of its outstanding common shares by a US-based private equity firm via plan of arrangement under the CBCA.
Acted for a TSX-listed corporation in connection with its acquisition of retail optical outlets.
Real estate projects
Acted for a real estate developer in connection with its joint venture acquisition of land and the development of over 430 residential condominium units as well as rental housing units and retail commercial spaces in a prime location in the Griffintown area of Montreal valued at $133 million dollars, including representation regarding the secured credit facilities to finance construction of the project.
Acted for a TSX-V listed issuer in connection with the issuance by private placement of $10.5 million of 10% convertible unsecured subordinated debentures maturing on December 31, 2020.
Acted for a TSX-V listed issuer in connection with a $10.5 million issuance of common shares by private placement.
- 2020 – COVID-19 and CBCA companies: Supreme Court of British Columbia first Canadian court to rule on a petition seeking an extension of the delay to hold the annual general meeting
- 2020 – Buyer’s responsibility in mergers & acquisitions: Superior Court clarifies the extent of a buyer’s duty to inquire into a company’s financial condition
- 2020 – Proactivity and creativity in mergers and acquisitions during COVID-19: 5 key issues
- 2020 – Corporations: important new measures for disclosure of shareholder information
- 2019 – The Quebec Government Launches a Public Consultation on Corporate Transparency
- 2017 – OSC Decision in Token Funder Inc. Initial Coin Offering: Is Canada Finally Becoming an ICO-Friendly Jurisdiction?
- 2020 – Solina, TGOD and goPeer choose Langlois to assist with their business transactions
- 2019 – Retrospective 2018 | 10 Successes for Langlois’ Transactional Group
- 2018 – Retrospective of Langlois’ 10 Most Representative Mergers & Acquisitions Mandates of 2017
- 2017 – Three Articles by Langlois Lawyers Published in the Special Business Law Edition of Magazine Les Affaires
- 2017 – Langlois Welcomes Lawyer Félix Bernard to Its Business Law Group
2016 – “Proposed CBCA Amendments: A New Era of True Majority Voting and Diversity?”, Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
Since 2015 – Secretary and board member of the Fondation le Pont vers l’Autonomie
Since 2018 – Member of the East Montreal Chamber of Commerce (CCEM)