The Langlois lawyers team of recognized experts in property assessment has had the opportunity to handle numerous high-profile cases, some of which have led to landmark decisions. We have developed an excellent reputation for representing the interests of taxpayers, enabling us to take and defend positions that are always respectful of the rights and interests of such taxpayers.
We represent local, national, and international taxpayers, including both owners and tenants, before all bodies, tribunals, and courts with jurisdiction over contested municipal property assessments. Our expertise extends to all types of properties, whether they are commercial, industrial, single use, or residential. For example, we have headed up cases involving sports complexes, metallurgical and chemical-industry factories, shopping centre anchor tenants, motor vehicle assembly plants, and some of Canada’s largest retailers.
We offer a complete range of services in this area of practice, including:
- verifying the municipal record (area, use, and percentage of mixed occupancy);
- verifying property and school tax accounts;
- negotiating with municipal authorities, including the municipal assessor, at every stage of the file;
- making recommendations as to the choice of an expert;
- preparing review applications to be submitted to the municipality, as well as motions to initiate proceedings before the Tribunal administratif du Québec;
- contesting decisions before the Tribunal administratif du Québec and appealing before higher courts;
- representing clients before political authorities;
- filing applications for recognition for non-profit organizations (NPO);
- advising and representing clients in relation to land transfer taxes;
- advising and representing clients in relation to regulations (zoning, construction, subdivision, and nuisance);
- contesting the right to expropriate;
- contesting the legality of any local taxation affecting an owner, a tenant, or an occupant.