Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Éric Thibaudeau is a partner in Langlois lawyers’ Montréal office. He has special expertise in the area of occupational health and safety, regarding issues within the jurisdiction of the Administrative Labour Tribunal (ALT) as well as penal infractions prosecuted by the CNESST that are heard in the Court of Québec’s Criminal and Penal Division. He also acts for employers in grievance arbitrations, labour-relations matters and collective agreement decrees. In addition, he advises construction contractors and project owners on all matters within the jurisdiction of the construction industry regulatory authorities, such as the Commission de la construction du Québec, the Régie du bâtiment du Québec and the Autorité des marchés financiers.
A highly regarded practitioner within the construction industry, Éric also advises various corporate entities in the private sector as well as organizations in the public sector.
Éric has many years of experience in labour law. Before joining Langlois lawyers, he practiced at a large national firm where he was also a partner. His professional career path includes a term at the Association provinciale des constructeurs d’habitations du Québec (APCHQ) where he worked as coordinator of legal services. He also worked as a labour relations attorney in the legal department of the Association de la construction du Québec (ACQ).
Since 2015, Éric has been listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory in Occupational Health & Safety / Workers’ Compensation. In 2014, he was designated as one of Leading Lawyers Under 40 at the Rising Stars gala of Lexpert® magazine. Also, he has been recognized as a Litigation Lawyer to Watch in Lexpert® US/Canada Cross-Border Guide.
He practises law in both languages English and French.
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1997
Rankings & Recognitions
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2020
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2018
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory 2015
- Lexpert® Rising Star 2014 – Leading Lawyers Under 40
Areas of Practice
Retrospective of Langlois’ 10 Most Representative Mergers & Acquisitions Mandates of 2017
The expertise of Langlois lawyers in the areas of technology, transportation, intellectual property, labour law, Northern development, environmental law and real estate law was called upon in several major and impactful mergers and acquisitions files that the firm handled in 2017.
Langlois Represents a Major Cannabis Enterprise
Since 2017, Langlois lawyers has been representing a company in connection with the acquisition of a property located in Montreal West, province of Québec, for the cultivation of organic medical marijuana and the development of production facilities.
- 2020 – COVID-19: sound OHS practices key to continued operations
- 2020 – Relief for employers as payment of dues to CNESST is deferred
- 2018 – The Reinforced Building Act: Obtaining and Retaining a Contractor’s Licence Has Become More Difficult
- 2018 – Construction Contractor Sentenced to 18 Months in Prison for the Death of an Employee!
- 2018 – Crane Operators’ Strike: The Administrative Labour Tribunal Orders Crane Operators to Return to Work on a Regular Basis as of Today
- 2018 – Worker Safety on Construction Sites: a Contractor Found Guilty of Manslaughter
- 2018 – Employer Ordered by Ontario Superior Court to Pay $2.6 Million for OHS-Related Criminal Negligence
- 2017 – Penal Offences: a Minimum Fine Deemed Unconstitutional
- 2017 – Construction Industry Strike: Langlois lawyers Can Help
- 2017 – Offences Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act: a Lot More Than a Fine Is at Stake!
- 2016 – Unreasonable Delays in Criminal and Penal Matters: the Supreme Court Toughens the Rules!
- 2016 – The Supreme Court of Canada Confirms the Primacy of the Professional Secrecy of Lawyers and Notaries Over Government Audits
- 2016 – CCQ Offences For Failing to File Notices of Hiring Online: Two Employers Acquitted
- 2016 – Inherent Financing Costs
- 2016 – Fatal Work Accident: an Ontario Court Sentences a Project Manager to 3 ½ Years in Prison
- 2015 – Obligation to Accommodate and the Act Respecting Industrial Accidents and Occupational Diseases: the CSST and the CLP Now Have to Take Them Into Account
- 2015 – Workplace Safety: a Contractor Loses his Construction Licence and is Charged With Manslaughter
- 2015 – Suitable Employment and the Duty to Accommodate: the Superior Court Turns the Case Law on its Ear
- 2014 – Costs Due to Treatment or Failure to Provide Treatment: the Workers’ Compensation Tribunal Puts an End to a Debate1
- 2014 – Checking the “No” Box: Will You Be Charged by the RBQ for Making a False Statement?
- 2014 – An Employer Can File a Counterclaim Against an Employee in an Action Brought by the Labour Standards Commission on the Employee’s Behalf
- 2014 – Primer on Due Diligence in Occupational Health and Safety Matters
- 2014 – Pay Registers: the Construction Commission Tightens the Screws!
- 2014 – Employers’ Penal Liability in Respect of Occupational Health and Safety
2018 – “Widespread strike among crane operators in Quebec: A backlash to new regulation”, co-authored with Xavier Berwald-Grégoire, The Lawyer’s Daily, July 2018.
- 2019 – Series of Workshops on Construction Law 2019 | Non-Compliance of the Act Respecting Occupational Health and Safety: Much More Than Fines!
- 2019 – Symposium 2019 – Labour & Employment Law
- 2018 – Fourth Continuing Legal Education Symposium on Labour and Employment Law 2018 | Developments in Occupational Health and Safety
- 2017 – 360 Degrees of Employment Law | Managing the Risks of Penal and Criminal Prosecutions in the Area of Occupational Health and Safety
- 2017 – Symposium on Labour & Employment Law
- 2016 – Symposium on Labour & Employment Law
- 2015 – Symposium on Labour & Employment Law
- 2014 – Construction Law Conference
- 2014 – LKD-Conference in collaboration with SODES
- 2014 – Symposium on Labour & Employment Law
Since 2020 – Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA)