Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Catherine Martel is a partner in the litigation group at the Montréal office of Langlois Lawyers.
She advises and represents a variety of clients in matters involving product liability, consumer law and energy law, including class actions. Catherine also drafts appeal factums and written submissions in all areas of the law. She has extensive experience with Quebec civil law issues (including the law of obligations, contract law and civil liability law), corporate law, administrative law, constitutional law and civil liberties, as well as energy law.
Catherine’s recent client work includes acting for:
- State-owned company in connection with an application for authorization to institute a class action. The Superior Court dismissed the application on the basis that the tests of colour of right and adequate representation were not met.
- State-owned company in connection with various proceedings relating to the approval or application of the open access transmission tariff before the Régie de l’énergie du Québec and the subsequent application for judicial review before the Quebec Superior Court.
- The respondent in one of the most important constitutional cases in family law in Quebec, where the constitutionality of certain Civil Code of Québec provisions that exclude common law couples was challenged. The Supreme Court of Canada found in favour of the respondent.
- 2020 – The Superior Court weighs in on COVID-19 and force majeure
- 2020 – Breach of contract due to the COVID-19 pandemic: a case of force majeure?
- 2018 – The Supreme Court Puts an End to the Judicial Saga Begun by Churchill Falls (Labrador) Corporation Limited
2010 – “Les transactions et les mesures alternatives de règlement dans le cadre d’un recours collectif” (Settlements and other dispute resolution mechanisms in class actions), co-author with Éric Dunberry, Barreau du Québec, Service de la formation continue, Développements récents en recours collectifs, volume 327, Cowansville, Yvon Blais
Canadian Bar Association
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1997
Areas of Practice
- Administrative Law
- Business Law
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Construction Litigation
- Construction Risk
- Corporate and Companies Law
- Disciplinary and Professional Law
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Environmental Litigation
- General Liability
- Labour & Employment Law
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Non-competition Clauses and Restrictive Covenants
- Private International Law
- Product Liability
- Product Risk
- Professional Liability
- Public Procurement
- Securities Litigation