Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Bernard Jolin is a partner in Langlois lawyers’ Montréal office and head of the litigation group. He is also a member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
During his more than 25 years as a commercial litigator, he has managed a wide variety of files ranging from basic to highly complex matters in areas such as construction, real estate, shareholder disputes, etc.
In the course of his legal career he has developed considerable expertise in public law through his representation of corporate entities involved in disputes with government authorities. In addition, he was actively involved in the Poitras commission of inquiry into the Quebec provincial police and the Charbonneau commission of inquiry into corruption and collusion in Quebec’s construction industry.
Bernard has pleaded before various administrative tribunals and all levels of Quebec’s civil courts on behalf of a variety of clients including financial institutions and commercial enterprises. He has consistently adopted an approach based on his client’s needs and goals, and a budget carefully tailored thereto.
In local taxation matters, he represents local, national, and international taxpayers before tribunals and courts in contesting municipal property tax assessments for various property categories.
In the municipal law field, Bernard Jolin writes opinions for taxpayers regarding municipal taxation, zoning and bylaws.
Over the years Bernard has fulfilled a number of administrative functions, having been coordinator of the litigation department of a large national law firm for six years, in addition to sitting on that firm’s national management committee.
At Langlois lawyers, Bernard is responsible for applying the firm’s conflict-of-interest rules. He is also active in the Quebec Bar Association, having sat for many years on its Civil Procedure Committee. He was thus in the vanguard of the major recent changes to Quebec’s Code of Civil Procedure.
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
Rankings & Recognitions
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2020
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2020
- Benchmark Litigation Canada 2019
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019
- Benchmark Canada 2018
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018
- Benchmark Canada 2017
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2017
- Benchmark Canada 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2016
- Benchmark Canada 2015
Areas of Practice
Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF)
Represented the AMF, Quebec’s financial markets regulator, in defence against a class action brought by 9,200 investors victimized by a fraud perpetrated by Vincent Lacroix and the Norbourg group of companies.
Represented the directors of Inter-Canadien in defence against an action brought by more than 500 employees of the now-bankrupt airline, seeking to recover several million dollars in unpaid salary and benefits.
Atlantic commercial fisheries
Lead counsel in several actions brought by Atlantic commercial fisheries against the federal government seeking to nullify various decisions of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and recover tens of millions of dollars in damages caused thereby.
- 2019 – Notice to Real Estate Promoters and Owners of Properties Located in Flood Zones: Moratorium on Construction or Reconstruction of Buildings
- 2019 – Findings of Bad Faith on the Part of a Municipality Upheld by the Court of Appeal
- 2017 – Notice to property owners and lessees: contesting property assessments under the new roll for 2017
- 2016 – Quebec’s New Code of Civil Procedure
- 2016 – Legal Industry Reform
- 2015 – The Charbonneau Commission – Preserving Confidentiality or Defending Oneself: Why Have to Choose?
Canadian Bar Association