Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Hugues Duguay is a partner in Langlois lawyers’ insurance law group’s Montréal office. He frequently appears before the Superior Court, the Court of Appeal and other jurisdictions in Quebec.
Over the years, Hugues has advised many insurance companies with respect to the interpretation of CGL, E&O and D&O liability insurance policies as well as property policies. His clients appreciate his drafting and analytical skills.
He has also developed an expertise in civil and commercial litigation, professional errors and omissions, and product liability.
Master of Laws (LL.M.), New York University School of Law, 1995
Bachelor of Civil Law (LL.L.) cum laude, University of Ottawa, 1993
Rankings & Recognitions
Recipient of the merit scholarship awarded to the winner of the Moot Court competition of the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, Civil Law Section, 1992
Areas of Practice
- Appeal of a Superior Court judgment in the “Trois-Rivières pyrrhotite” case, a major product liability and professional liability case resulting from allegedly defective concrete in hundreds of buildings in central Quebec (pending).
- Successful resolution on behalf of primary and excess insurers of a major Professional Indemnity Insurance claim stemming from a damage award against the insured engineering firm for design errors in the expansion of a health clinic.
- Representing a Municipal Errors & Omissions Liability insurer in a Motion seeking to compel it to defend an insured municipality in relation to allegations that it illegally denied the claimant a construction permit pursuant to a Planning and Architectural Integration bylaw.
- Representing a professional indemnity liability insurer in a major coverage matter resulting from a damage claim by an international iron ore mining company in relation to the expansion of a mine in Northern Quebec.
- Successful resolution of several product liability claims against a major North American fuel tank manufacturer.
- Successful defence of a law firm sued for damages in relation to alleged false representations.
- Successfully represented a Municipal Errors & Omissions Liability insurer in an appeal seeking to compel it to defend its insured in a test case as to the existence of coverage for legislative acts of a municipality under standard Municipal Errors & Omissions Liability policies.
- Successfully represented the Errors & Omissions Liability insurer of a financial planner in a lawsuit stemming from the sale of securities issued or related to Mount Real.
- Successfully argued the nullity of a CGL Policy due to misrepresentation of the risk by the Insured in a lawsuit stemming from an arson fire.
- Successfully defended the lessee against a claim by the owner and neighbouring tenants for damages stemming from a fire originating in the leased premises.
2015 – Co-author, “L’Assurance responsabilité civile des entreprises (ARCE) : l’obligation de défendre”, Le contrat d’assurance de dommages et le contrat de réassurance: sujets choisis, LexisNexis
2010 – Co-authored with Nicholas J. Krnjevic, “Les clauses d’assurance dans les baux commerciaux : tendances et contrastes dans la jurisprudence au Québec et au Canada”, Développements récents en droit des assurances (2010), continuing education service of the Québec Bar, Éditions Yvon Blais
- 2019 – Insurance Law Seminar 2019
Hugues is certified as an instructor by the Institut d’assurance de dommages du Québec and acts as a speaker on legal issues of interest to its members. Hugues has also contributed as a speaker to the continuing education program of the Young Bar of Montreal.
2017 – “Développements récents en droit des assurances”
2016 – “Développements récents en droit des assurances”
2014 – “Deguise c. Montminy : une histoire d’assurance”
2013 – “Développements récents en droit des assurances”
2011 – “Relation locateur/locataire: qui paie en cas de sinistre?”
2010 – “L’assurance des risques découlant des vices de construction et des vices cachés”, Young Bar of Montreal, June 9
2009 – Co-speaker with François Duprat, “L’assurance de la responsabilité des administrateurs et dirigeants d’entreprises”, Institut d’assurance de dommages du Québec, November 2 and 5
2013, 2014, 2016 to 2018 – Volunteer Consulting Attorney, Salon Visez droit
Since 2017 – Member of The Bar of Montréal’s Liaison Committee with the Superior Court, Civil Division
Since 2016 – Member of the Disciplinary Committee of the Québec Bar