Lawyer, Partner - Montréal
Pierre-Luc Desgagné is a partner in the business law group at Langlois lawyers, where he advises the firm’s clients on matters involving governance, energy law, environmental law, health law, negotiation strategy and governmental affairs.
Known for his extensive and varied experience in the governmental and political spheres, his expertise in crisis management and public affairs is also widely acknowledged. He has also acquired a keen appreciation of the importance of social acceptability for successful project development. In this regard he has been called upon in the past to give presentations to parliamentary committees of both Quebec’s National Assembly and the federal House of Commons.
In addition to serving as deputy chief of staff to former Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard, Pierre-Luc became adept at managing a variety of complex files as a member of senior management at Hydro-Québec, where he was Vice President – Corporate Affairs and Secretary General. In that capacity his duties ranged from public and legal affairs to environmental matters and relations with local media. He was also centrally involved in the creation of the first public charging network for electric vehicles, the Electric Circuit.
With his close ties to Montreal’s business community, Pierre-Luc is able to provide invaluable support to clients wishing to develop their businesses and expand their range of services.
LL.B., Civil Law, Laval University, 1991
Rankings & Recognitions
Finalist for the Business Strategy and Achievement Award, one of the ZSA Quebec General Counsel Awards
Winner of the 2007 Arista award for Young Manager of the Year from the Young Chamber of Commerce of Montreal
Finalist in the Dean’s Cup (La Coupe du doyen) mooting competition at Laval University
Areas of Practice
Retrospective of Langlois lawyers’ 10 Most Representative Mergers & Acquisitions Mandates of 2017
The expertise of Langlois lawyers in the areas of technology, transportation, intellectual property, labour law, Northern development, environmental law and real estate law was called upon in several major and impactful mergers and acquisitions files that the firm handled in 2017.
Langlois lawyers represents a major cannabis enterprise
Since 2017, Langlois lawyers has been representing an enterprise in connection with the acquisition of property in Quebec, in a location west of Montreal, for the cultivation of organic medical marijuana and the development of production facilities.
- 2018 – The Supreme Court Puts an End to the Judicial Saga Begun by Churchill Falls (Labrador) Corporation Limited
- 2018 – Commercialization of Cannabis
- 2018 – The Federal Cannabis Bill Has Been Adopted – Next Step: Implementation
- 2018 – The Debate on the Adoption of Bill C-45 Continues: Next Stop – Back to the House of Commons
- 2018 – Quebec’s Right to Self-Determination and Bill 99 – the Superior Court’s Judgment Will Be Appealed
- 2018 – Not Just a “Beer Case” : The Supreme Court Confirms the Constitutionality of Certain Provincial Non-Tariff Trade Barriers
- 2017 – Initial Overview of Quebec’s Cannabis Legislation
- 2017 – Purchasing an Electric Vehicle While Living in a Condominium: Be Sure to Plan Ahead!
- 2017 – The First Regulations Under the Zero-Emission Vehicles Act Are About to Come into Force!
- 2017 – The Comeau Case: Are We Headed for Liberalized Interprovincial Trade in Canada? The Supreme Court Will Soon Decide.
- 2017 – Bill 102 and Its Impact on the Watercourses Act
- 2018 – Second Symphony | GDPR: The First 100 Days
- 2017 – The cannabis effect: issues for enterprises and how to manage the legal and HR impacts
- 2017 – Employment Law, Former Employee’s Obligation of Loyalty, and Protection of Business Secrets
- 2017 – Finer Points of Business Law | Is the Law a Brake or an Accelerator for Electric Transport?
- 2018 – Pierre-Luc Desgagné Moderates a Panel Discussion on Issues Facing the Mining Industry
- 2017 – Pierre-Luc Desgagné Speaks on the Evolution of Climate and Energy Files After President Trump’s First Year in Office
2018 – “Environnement légal et possibilités d’investissement” (Investment possibilities and the legal environment of the market for cannabis), in collaboration with Mylany David, Conférence Les Affaires, April 10, 2018
2017 – “Legislative and regulatory update on calls for tenders” (Mise à jour de la législation et de la réglementation pertinente en matière d’appel d’offres), Symposium on construction for public and para-public clients, Open Forum Ouvert HS, Montreal, October 2, 2017.
Involved in social causes for several years now, Pierre-Luc is currently a member of the board of directors of the Quebec federation of chambers of commerce, a member of the board of directors and Treasurer of Pro Bono Quebec, a member of the board of directors and president of the strategic planning committee of Québec Cinéma, a member of the board of directors of theatre company Jean-Duceppe and a member of the East Montreal Chamber of Commerce (CCEM).
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Pierre-Luc was president of the law students association at Laval University. He was also a founding member of the France-Quebec political action committee (CAPFQ).